Sunday, September 18, 2011

Blog Post #3 - Leadership Connectors: Support

In Chapter 2 of Leadership Connectors, Hensley and Burmeister share the importance of support.  Support is indeed a basic human need. We are not created to live and work in solitude. Most, if not all, jobs require people to collectively work together to accomplish a task. A quote that stood out to me was, “Successful principals realize that it is virtually impossible to do the job alone,” (p. 34). Leaders must make it evident that they need people. It is important for them to solicit the help of others when needed.

I have heard many times that academic achievement is improved though teachers and that is a primary reason why leaders should support them. Whether it is financial, material, physical, or moral, teachers need various kinds of support to perform their jobs successfully. When one receives support, they feel valued, relevant, and encouraged. I feel that all individuals who feel a sense of connectedness will work harder and produce better results. A goal in my district is to make students feel like they belong. This starts with making teachers and staff feel significant, too. When this is achieved, it will foster an environment where mutual support is present and thriving.

Another concept in this chapter that was important to me was the notion of being “visible.” This is an area that my principal excels in. From the very first week, we noticed that he was out during all the recesses and at dismissal. This was not the case with my previous principal. He spent a lot of his time in his office or in meetings. I feel like my current leader is out of his office more. He visits classrooms on a daily basis to see what students are learning. I feel this has reduced the number of discipline problems. His presence out at recess seems to deter some kids from misbehaving. One last thing I will remember from this chapter is the importance of supporting teachers when an angry parent calls to complain. I plan to use the question, “What did the teacher have to say when you spoke to her?” (p. 43). It is imperative that a principal lets the teacher know about a phone call or visit from an angry parent. As a teacher, I always keep my principal informed of situations before they escalate. I don’t want him to be surprised if a parent contacts him about an issue with involving their child. I give him as much background information as possible to inform his decision.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree that those who feel a sense of connectedness and support will work harder and produce better support than those who do not. I have had the great pleasure of working for 3 principals who were and are outstanding role models: Lisa Houston, Matt Navo and Jon Yost. Their continued support inspires me to work hard with each new endeavor that I undertake. (Lori Welch)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that feeling connected and supported to your school makes me want to get better and leaves me with a great attitude about what I do daily.
    I have worked for principals who sat in their office all day and principals who get to know you both professionally and personally. Yes, what a difference of how it makes me feel when I go to work every day. Same with the students and staff of the school. When leadership takes interest in them because they are a person, great attitudes become contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you when you said that leaders must make it evident that they need people. When I feel that I am needed at school it makes me want to do my job better. Sometimes the support we need is material, verbal or just moral and I agree that we as teachers need various forms of support. My old boss Mr.Mayo always made me feel important and supported. He often told me that I made his job easier and made him look good, little things like that made me want to work harder.
    I also liked that you added the part about being visible. That is something that we have heard from our first class with Dr.Hauser and it still has stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete