Monday, September 26, 2011

Blog #4 - Leadership Connectors: Safety

In Chapter 3 of Leadership Connectors, the authors share the importance of safety.  Safety is needed at all levels – physically, emotionally, psychologically, and intellectually. They refer to a healthy state of “relaxed alertness” as a place where productivity and creativity flourish. Schools with staff that function “in the zone” are likely to have a positive school culture.

I found it interesting, yet affirming to see micromanaging as a bully behavior. Years ago, I worked under a Chief of Staff who was the ultimate micromanager. She tried to control every aspect of our job. I became afraid to answer the office phone for fear that I would make a mistake. She was a bully in our office and our Senator didn’t know it. Many staff members were unhappy and even called the head of personnel to hold a mediation session. I was the only one bold enough to step up and let her know about her unfair treatment when it came to taking time off. With the support of my program director and the attorneys I worked with, I took the time off anyway. I had to endure some of the meanest comments I’ve ever heard about me. She attacked my character, integrity, self-worth and made me cry when I returned from taking time off. After I left, I heard that all of the people I worked with left too. That year, I learned one of the most important life lessons – how not to treat people when I am in a position of power. I am committed to never being the kind of boss she was. I also learned to give credit where it is due. I accomplished many tasks and wasn’t given the credit. It was a humbling, yet powerful experience.

One thing that stood out from this chapter was the concept that, “Respect for everyone must be a non-negotiable rule for the school culture,” (p. 61). I think that when respect for each other breaks down, trust follows. A culture without trust and respect becomes a very lonely and toxic place. A leader must work towards building and maintaining positive relationships so that the school is a place where children and adults feel safe, valued, and can thrive. This means that they must not accept bullying behavior from anyone – parents, students, staff, or themselves!

2 comments:

  1. Linda, I enjoyed reading your blog post on school safety. I too agree that working under a mico-manager attacks many positive aspects of ones self. I liked the part at the end of your post regarding the fact that respect for everyone must be non-negotiable. Bullying behavior can not be tolerated at any level.
    ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, sometimes we learn just as much from someone that we don't want to be like as from someone who we do. I also agree that giving credit to others is very important. Most of my former principals were very good at this and it made a huge impression on me. It demonstrated their respect for the contributions of their staff members and was an example of their own humility. They did not feel that it was necessary to know everything and be the source of all solutions.

    ReplyDelete