I really enjoyed our first face to face class session for EAD 269. As many have mentioned, it was great to finally see the faces of many individuals that we have been interacting with on Blackboard up until this point. I feel like this course is going to be flexible and tailored to our needs as we get ready to exit the program. I liked how Dr. Buster presented the purpose of the class and allowed us to give input on what else we may want to learn. I am also excited that this course is being taught by 3 professors – Dr. Buster, Dr., Wise, and Dr. Darrow. I think we will learn a great deal from their collective knowledge and experiences as educators who served in different capacities.
One thing that stood out to me during our first session was the Drive video. I learned more about what truly motivates people. Personally, I’ve always known that intrinsic rewards work better for me instead of extrinsic rewards (money). An example of this was when I was in high school. As I worked towards my goal of being a valedictorian of my graduating class, I found out that my best friend was paid $50 for every semester that she earned a 4.0. I tried asking my family for the same kind of compensation. They responded with, “We’re not going to pay you to get good grades because we know that if we didn’t, you would not fail.” This was absolutely true. Although I preferred a little extra cash as a teenager, I realized that I was intrinsically motivated to be the best I could be and that money was not going to change that. The video revealed three benefits that people prefer over money: autonomy, mastery, and purpose. I believe that these 3 things are indispensable and fulfilling. Money is temporary, contribution is not. I think that many individuals value being self-directed, making a contribution, and maximizing our purpose. The information learned in the video is important to know as a leader because as Dr. Buster mentioned, “We need new motivation strategies in this era.” We need to develop new ways of motivating both adults and children so that we can maximize learning and make positive changes in people’s lives.
The final thing I would like to add is that I love quotes! Both Dr. Buster and Dr. Darrow mentioned ideas during this session that I will remember and refer to in my journey of becoming a school leader. Dr Buster stated, “Don’t confuse your title with being a leader.” This is important because I feel that someone can be a leader in any position. Some people focus more on their title rather than their role within a larger organization. I feel that being a leader requires the willingness to serve others – students, parents, teachers, and the larger community. If one becomes fixated on their “title” they may lose sight of their purpose. Dr. Darrow mentioned that, “Leadership is public. You can’t work by yourself.” I need to remember to share my leadership responsibilities and build a collective group of people with the same vision and focus. The job of a school leader is too big to do alone!
Linda in your last paragraph you had the same quote that I included. I feel sometimes that the "title" is what we as educators are after and we loose site of the "purpose" of why we got into education in the beginning. At least I know that has happened to me before this program.
ReplyDeleteI too agree that the EAD 269 class seems flexible and will try and "fit it all in" so we cover all we haven't yet. I am looking forward to going to the full Saturday meetings opposed to having to drive to Clovis every week from Visalia.
Look forward to reading your blog this semester.
Megan
Both you and Megan referred to Dr. Buster's comment about confusing your title with being a leader. I feel that this is important because it is your positive actions and attitudes that make a difference not your position. Everyone has expertise that should be shared and can make a huge impact.
ReplyDeleteBy working collaboratively, we all have an opportunity to contribute as leaders at different times and in different capacities to accomplish our collective goal of improving learning for all students and for adults as well!
Lori Welch :)
Hi Linda,
ReplyDeleteGreat little reflection about our first meeting. I can relate to your comment about your friend getting paid for good grades. I think I lived your same exact story. As a teenager, not getting paid for good grades seemed unfair. However, our parents knew exactly what they were setting us up for...success on our own! Thanks for sharing.
Yes, your reference to Dr. Buster's comment- so true! As leaders, we always have to remember to build relationships and work together. See you soon.
Tiffany
Linda,
ReplyDeleteAre you able to post to my blog from the class site? I'm just wanting to make sure it's working? Thanks!
Tiffany
Hi Tiffany,
ReplyDeleteI tried to post on your blog today and I think it worked. I was not sure what to do last weekend because I thought that I needed to sign up for a wordpress (blog) account in order to post a comment. I am still trying to figure out how to "follow" your blog and Lori's because we didn't use the same blog site. For now, I have created a tag to your blog site on "My Favorites" and check it to read new posts from time to time.
Thanks for checking,
Linda