Honesty is another concept I emphasize with my students. I make it known that students are not perfect and neither is their teacher. We will all make mistakes along the way, but we must acknowledge our mistakes, learn from them, and not repeat them. I specifically liked the example of Mary, a second-year principal, and her experience with selecting an assembly for her middle school. Mary made a huge mistake! Instead of making excuses, she was honest with her staff, apologized to them, and asked for their forgiveness. This showed her vulnerability and that she was human. Although her staff was upset, they quickly forgave her and moved on.
One last concept that stood out to me was betrayal and perceived betrayal. The author’s mentioned that both had the same consequences. When either of the two occurs, suspicion emerges. Two suggestions that were valuable to me were: Stay away from negative people, their problems, their messes, and ugliness and be careful of statements like “This is just between you and me.” One of my professors reminded us that when we were in the midst of difficult situations, always take the high road. It is important to remain positive, look for everyone’s strengths, and not engage in gossip. My current principal is a great example of this. I seldom hear him talk about people. He is a very positive person and keeps personnel issues confidential.
I also liked Mary's example in the reading. I think it is important for a teacher and a leader to recognized when a mistake is made.
ReplyDeleteLinda- You covered the most vital parts of this chapter. I agree with you that it is important to teach our students about trust and honesty and its importance. It takes many years to develop a strong and true trust and yet one incident can cause someone to doubt another. Thank you for sharing this week. Megan
ReplyDelete